Monday, October 11, 2010

The Peanut and his cleft

Peanut's cleft palate repair is a little over a month away now. I'm looking forward to having it over and done with but at the same time, I'm not really looking forward to putting him through another surgery. It has to be done for his own benefit of course, but I still wish it wasn't necessary in the first place. After this surgery, we should hopefully be able to get on with our lives until he is about 8 or 9 when he'll have to have a bone graft to close up the gaps in his upper jaw.

Looking over pictures of Peanut from when he was born up until the day of his lip repair and comparing those to him now, it's amazing to see how much he's changed. In a weird sort of way, I miss his cleft and the big wide smiles that he was able to give us because his mouth wasn't all joined together the way it was supposed to. I know other people who didn't know any better probably looked at him and thought 'Ergg, what's wrong with him??' but I thought he was perfect the way he was. Well, I still think he's just perfect but of course, I'm more than a bit biased. He seems to have recovered from the lip surgery really well though and he's looking really good now. If he didn't still have a bit of redness going up into his nostrils, you'd never know he had surgery. He'd just look like a kid with a slightly flattened nose...

No comments:

Post a Comment