Monday, September 20, 2010

Is this lame or just typical?

We had a BBQ at our place today. One of our friends was meant to come but he had to clean his room up before he could leave the house. So what's wrong with this picture? Well for one, he lives in a pigsty of a room most of the time. He doesn't clean it up unless his parents do something drastic, like effectively grounding him til it's done. And did I mention he's in his early 30s? Well he is and he doesn't seem all that keen to move out of home in spite of the occasional grounding when his room gets messy enough for his parents to notice.

I know statistically, people are staying at home with their parents for longer and longer these days but to me, it just seems wrong to be living like an irresponsible teenager when you're in your 30s. I know I wouldn't like having my parents watching my every move and doling out punishments to me when they think I've crossed the line. In fact, that was part of the reason I decided I had to get a place of my own and get the hell outta there! And I thought I'd left it pretty late to be moving out in my mid 20s when I knew heaps of people who were out of home at 18 or so!

So why do people live at home for so long these days? Is it because we have a longer life expectancy and don't feel the need to grow up as quickly? Or the fact that it's just about impossible to actually buy a place of your own unless you live at home and save all your pennies for a house deposit? Or is it the parents who are encouraging their kids to stay at home for longer so they can delay having to find a life for themselves once all the kids have left? Or some other reason that hasn't occurred to me yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment