Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I survived GAMSAT 2011!

Yay! Although, I wasn't feeling so yay the night before and the day of. I tried going to bed early. I really did. But I just couldn't sleep. I think I must have gotten about 2 hours of sleep the whole damn night. The rest of it I spent tossing and turning and trying to stay calm and not panic. Did you know that panic and sleep don't go together very well? No? Well I didn't either until I tried to mix the two. I decided to give up my pathetic attempts at sleep at about 6am since I figured if I did actually manage to fall asleep somehow, I'd probably sleep past the start of the exam. I don't think I got more than two hours of interrupted broken sleep altogether but hey, nobody said trying to get into medicine was going to be easy right?

I arrived at the test centre at about 8:20 and there was a line of people out the door. Goody. I got in line and stood there for about 15 mins waiting to register, listening to other people in the line stressing and trying my damndest not to run the hell away from there. I didn't give in to that instinct though and eventually, I got in and settled down in my seat. When the exam started, I managed to put the nerves aside and concentrate on section 1.

Looking back, I think section 1 was the easiest part of the whole exam. I finished it with about 10 or 15 mins to spare. It was still pretty difficult though and I don't really know whether I understood everything as I was meant to or not. I guess I'll find out in May.

Section 2. Ummm... The less said about this one, the better. Let's just say I need to do a hell of a lot more work on my essay writing.

Section 3 was a bit better in that I didn't have to string words and sentences into something coherent. But it was a hell of a lot harder than any practice questions I did. I'm pretty sure I didn't do very well in this section at all. The science study that I did in preparation did help a bit when there were questions that were related to what I'd learned. Unfortunately, there weren't enough of those to make me think I could possibly pass this section. And the headache that made it's presence known about 10 mins into this section sure didn't help either. I can probably thank the sleepless night I had for that one.

So yeah. Be interesting to see the results but I'm pretty sure I'll be back for another round of GAMSAT goodness in 2012...

No comments:

Post a Comment